Destiny: To live, to be exiled or to die.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Chapter 52: Sssneak Away

WISP

    "Maybe I should try hunting instead," Mist offered. "I'm really wanting to go out there and stretch my legs."
    Wisp shrugged. "Suit yourself," he said.
    Mist gleefully jumped off and ran into the barren lands. There was no hope of catching anything there as far as Wisp was concerned of.
    Wisp was pretending to sleep as Mist slipped off. Counting down, he scanned around to see if Mist was still around. When he reached zero, he stood and checked again for the last time.
    No Mist in sight. Good.
    He bounded off to the mountain where Darren and his beginning pack lay. Hopefully, Darren would lay low now that Escarda had already went on a hunt.
    Quietly, Wisp sauntered up the rocky hill where Darren was. There was no movement to be heard by Wisp, and so he sighed, but kept cautious. Up the long way, Wisp slowly and stealthily travelled the winding path up. He hoped that whatever Darren and his little pack hunted could be his meal too.
    He knew it was stealing. He knew it wasn't right, but it was the only chance of survival.
    So far.
    Mist wanted a bunny, right?
    No, if it was a bunny Escarda received while hunting, it couldn't even sustain for the three of them. Maybe they hunted something larger? Or in large quantities?
    Wisp could hear the sound of paws scraping against the rocky surface. Wisp froze. Who could it be?
    Wolves may be nocturnal, but Darren is usually asleep at night and move a lot by day. Wisp hoped that they all followed their pack leader.
    The sound of the footsteps were gone. Suddenly, a spine-chilling voice said, "Yes, he was here."
    Wisp, hearing it, couldn't help feeling attracted to the voice. Despite it being fishy, but the voice seem to own some kind of mystical power that drew Wisp towards it. Before Wisp knew it, he was pacing forwards.
    "Who's there?" the same voice said, but it's melodic, and certainly wasn't panicked. Wisp then realised he was out in the open.
    He kept striding forwards, keeping the answer to the question to himself. He needed to see who said that!
    It was too feminine for Darren, and Escarda's voice was harsher. Terra... Terra's voice was less bold, more quiet.
    A brown wolf came to sight. "T-Terra!" cried Wisp, shocked.
    "You know... me?" she inquired, puzzling Wisp terribly.
    Wisp shook his head. "Darren introduced us to each other, remember?"
    "I'm afraid... not," replied Terra apologetically. "Let me introduce myself. I'm Rho."
    "Rho? I... but... but you're Terra!"
    The brown wolf laughed. "Terra has been my host for quite some time now," said the wolf, and suddenly Wisp felt uneasy.
    "Host?" he questioned hesitantly.
    Rho laughed gently. "I'm sorry, are you startled?" she inquired. "I'm Rho. However, I have been defeated in combat years ago, and I was beyond saving, so they removed my soul from my body, and my soul wanders freely."
    "You're... dead?" cried Wisp.
    Rho laughed again, and Wisp felt relaxed from his tense moment. "No, I wasn't, I was close to, but, not yet."
    "So... why are you in Terra's body?" inquired Wisp, studying the brown patterns of the wolf.
    "My soul was useless to do anything, so I needed a physical body. An outcast, Terra accepted my offer, and so here we are!" cried she, smiling.
    "We're friends, don't worry," Rho reassured. "It's not like I forced in to use her body or anything, OK?"
    "Does Darren know about this?" Wisp finally questioned.
    Rho, in Terra's body, shook her head. "No, but Terra told him that sometimes she wonder freely at night without remembering, and not to bother her when she does that. Really sweet of Terra, isn't it?"
    Wisp thought about it for moments.
    "What did you need from this little place?"
    The question seemed to attack Wisp, and he sub-consciously took a step back. "To h-hunt for food, of course!" he replied, a little hurt.
    "In the territory of Darren?" inquired Rho sharply, and suddenly Terra's warm green eyes turned blue.
    "There's a little meadow over here, and I-"
    "Don't lie to me!" screamed Rho menacingly, and somehow uncaring. "You're going to rob Darren of any food, aren't you?"
    "I... but-!"
    Rho's voice softened a bit, but it was still icy. "I'm not letting you destroy Terra's life. She never got anything but scraps in her old pack. It was fine when she and Darren finally got together! Don't you see? Stealing their food might just be what they need to starvation! Hunting is no longer easy as long as we're out here!"
    "Exactly, that's why I'm trying to hunt-"
    "You can't deny the fact you weren't going hunting!" snarled Rho. "Now reflect on your actions! You have the rest of your life to do it!"
    Suddenly, the earth beneath him began to shake. Wisp took quick steps backwards, but, in a blink of an eye, the ground around him rushed up, and he was enveloped in darkness.

Author's Note: I keep forgetting to post on here... oops... Have a chapter! Sorry for the past inconveniences!

No comments:

Post a Comment